Sonntag, 20. Dezember 2015

North & South * Elizabeth Gaskell


"He almost said to himself that he did not like her, before their conversation ended; he tried so to compensate himself for the mortified feeling, that while he looked upon her with admiration he could not repress, she looked at him with proud indifference, taking him, he thought, for what, in his irritation, he told himself he was - a great rough fellow, with not a grace or refinement about him."

"Boy and man, he´s the noblest, stoutest heart I ever knew..."

"And may I say you do not know the North?" asked he, with an inexpressible gentleness in his tone, as he saw that he had really hurt her.

"All this gladness in life, all honest pride in doing my work in the world, all this keen sense of being, I owe to her! And it doubles the gladness, it makes the pride glow, it sharpens the sense of existence till I hardly know if it is pain or pleasure to think that I owe it to one ... to one whom i love..."

"I have never loved ... before; my life has been to busey, my thoughts too much absorbed with other things. Now I love and will love..."

I wish I could tell you how lonely I am. How cold and harsh it is here. Everywhere there is conflict and unkindness. I think God has forsaken this place. I believe I have seen hell and it's white, it's snow-white.

"Margaret did long for a day of Edith´s life - her freedom from care, her cheerful home, her sunny skies... even for a few hours to be in the midst of that bright life, and to feel young again... she had had to bear up against such hard pressure that she felt quite old."
 
"So much was understood through eyes that could not be put into words."

Well! He had known what love was - a sharp pang, a fierce experience, in the midst of whose flames he was struggling! but through that furnance he would fight his way out into the serenity of middle age,  - all the richter and more human for havin known this great passion.

...though she should never see him, she felt as if the course of her future life, though not brilliant in prospect, might lie clear and even before her.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen